Friday, June 24, 2005

Helen: Assless and loving it

My ass... gone!
It has officially been danced off.

Ho.
Lee.
CRAP!

Thank the powers that be for my darling Mohammed and his extra ticket to the STELLAR Junior/Senior gig last night at the Mercury Lounge. I do not exaggerate one bit when I tell you that this was the best show I've seen since Afrika Bambaataa and the Zulu Nation virtually destroyed the Lunatarium almost two years ago. J/S's unpretentious brand of what can only be described as pansexual-Euro-retro-electropop-ska-rock provided something indiepop typically lacks: Solid, memorable songs (Shake Your Coconuts and The Gays, in particular) that are cleverly evocative without straying into derivative banality. Truly impressive and refreshing. Junior, with his Shaun Cassidy-meets-Vince Neil mini-mullet and diminutive stature, blasted more rockness out of that little body than any gangly scene-poseur New York frontman I've had the dubious pleasure of watching. Senior was the clear favorite amongst the crowd's strong gay showing; he's all about the vibrant, bouncing energy and touchy-feely crowd bonding. Add in two gorgeous, stunningly talented backup singers and a drummer with the accuracy of a fucking machine, and you've got some serious unstoppable action on your hands.

If that doesn't convince you, consider this: Even the hipsters were dancing. Yeah. (For the record, however...they're still douchebags.)

See Junior/Senior. Buy Junior/Senior records. Love them like we love them. I command you!

Now, in other, sadder news...
The rumors are unfortunately true...Coco has officially rolled up the magic carpet. While I respect her decision, I won't hesitate to remind her ad nauseum that she was the coolest, most ahead-of-the-game music blogger in the 'sphere, and will be sorely missed. I'll do what I can to pass along her vast indie knowledge to you as she graces me with it. And feel free to lodge your protests in her comments section, as Charles and I have.

And, of course, YAY FOR THE GAY! Happy Pride, bitchez!
(Note: If, during/after the parade, you find a post-it on your back that says "Kick Me, I'm Gay!"...well, you can bank that myself or my cohorts did it. Don't worry, I'll be wearing one too, even though I'm only half-a-fag. We're not hatin'. It's love, Ninth Circle style. Feel it!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I bet this fiddle of gold against yer soul cause I think I'm gayer than you" -

The Homo Went Down To Georgia (The Charlie Daniels Band)

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here