Monday, September 26, 2005

The power of television

In between periods of blinding pain, hits of percocet, and the long periods of "sleep" that followed them this weekend, I was lucky enough to catch the first episode of TransGeneration. For those of you who don't know, this is an eight-part documentary on the Sundance Channel that follows the daily lives of four transgendered students at universities around the country.

It's fascinating subject matter, and I enjoyed the way that the stories unfolded uniquely for each of the individuals. These documentarians, however, have done something over and above making a run-of-the-mill reality TV show that happens to be about transgendered teenagers. They've managed to inadvertently expose and examine a powerful, irrefutable universal truth that crosses all boundaries of gender, sexual orientation, and ethnicity:

College kids are SO.FUCKING.ANNOYING.

I'll be sticking to Spongebob on a go-forward basis.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you could commiserate with Derrick about college kids.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

ALthough I'ld never even think of transgeneration myself but I strongly believe people have the right to live as they like. Hey how many times do we get to live...

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicks with dicks, awesome.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Shauntae AuPair said...

I can relate. Yesterday, I had a student come to me to let me know that he was actually in my class even though he has yet to attend a single class! He wanted to know if that was a "problem" and, get this, "if he missed anything important?" When I asked why he hasn't been to a MONTH of classes, he said he has been ill. I asked if he had a Dr's note. He didn't have anything. Being an occasionally compassionate kind of guy, I asked what dire medical situation has left him him so disabled he cannot attend his classes? His response: acid reflux. Fucking hilarious.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.worldofwonder.net/productions/networks/sundance/transgeneration.wow

you should see the phots from the show

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here