Thursday, December 21, 2006

WYG out!

Yeah, so holy crap. Last night's WYSIWYG was just...wow.

Bear with me, here...I got home this morning at about the same time I normally get up for work, so I'm still a little messy.

First and foremost, huge thanks to Chris and Andy for letting me participate, especially amongst a group of actual performers and real writers. Chris totally rules. And she sher is perty.

I was incredibly pleased and flattered by the throng of blogger friends who showed up, including Tom, Aaron, Joe, Dashiell, Curly, and David. And a whole bunch of my non-blogger friends (yes, I have non-blogger friends) attended as well, for which I'm very grateful. We had a great crowd, made even better by the high volume of booze being slung by the wonderful staff of the Bowery Poetry Club.

The performers were, all in all, pretty damned hysterical. Emily Epstein is now officially the only person I know to have bungee jumped with a snootful. Awesome. Ed Hamilton was responsible for the night's best (and ultimately, most painful) belly laughs...read his story and see for yourself. Derek Hartley taught us some valuable lessons about hooking up with drunk people (don't do it...they'll pee in your closet!) and NOT drinking Jagermeister after eating chicken alfredo. I'm sure this knowledge will come in handy someday...thanks Derek! Reality TV celeb Dan Renzi and his quietly hilarious not-so-straight man performed a dialogue revealing the joys and pitfalls of dating a beer-swilling closet case.

And then, keeping with the theme of the evening, I went out with Curly, uptown boy MA, and my beloved Flower from Colorado and got totally shithammered. Good times.

The only downside: I was such a waste of space all day that I completely forgot to show up at the kids' Christmas party I was supposed to work this afternoon. Look at me...one show, and I'm already exhibiting flaky diva behavior. WYSIWYG may have created a monster.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Tony Adams said...

I heard you were great.
Is there a video?
I want to see the video.
Show me the video.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Red said...

She was great. I laughed, I cried—it was much better than Cats.

10:43 AM  
Blogger GayProf said...

I am so sad that I didn't get to see your perform. At least I can always drink as if I was there.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I'm sorry to have missed it!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely fantastically funny.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Michael Henderson said...

My partner and i were visiting New York this week, and a couple of friends took us to see the WYSIWYG show.

We had a great time, and i thought Helen was the best performer of the night (although the others were all pretty great too).

Many thanks for a great evening.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Helen the Felon said...

You guys are too kind. Thank you for coming, and for not thinking I suck! Seriously! Wow.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Da Nator said...

Can we at least get a recording? Transcript? Shorthand...?

Congrats on rockin' the mic, hon.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here